Monday, March 30, 2015

A Note to my Non-Indiana Friends

Hello Friends!!!

As much as I try to tell people what is really awesome about Indiana, our politics have to go and make a mockery of my most beloved home.

However, our politics do not reflect most hoosiers I know.

As I have tried to understand SB101- RFRA, I do not study law, and therefore find the bill difficult to understand for a working class nurse. So I have read, and re-read, hoping that this bill is something different than what people were saying it is.

At first, I thought it was a joke. I thought there was no way a bill could be passed that would allow a business to refuse to serve people. I thought, why does this even matter? (I mean, if someone is giving me money for my goods & services, I am not going to care who they are or what they are doing with it, they are keeping me in business.)
But some people do care.

..and because of these people, not only is Indiana receiving a high volume of negative, national  attention, but it is also destroying prospective revenue.

Indianapolis has been on an upward slope attracting new ideas, new people, new businesses, etc.. Every time I look around, there are new shops, new breweries, new restaurants. Old houses being fixed up and new houses being built.. New bike lanes, more art, more music, more young people. More entrepreneurs, more everything. Indy is growing, proliferating..

But unfortunately for all Hoosiers, whether you believe in the bill or not, it is putting a halt on our growth. 
Businesses are literally boycotting our state.

We are losing the $40 MILLION Angie's List expansion to the EastSide and GenCon generates $50 MILLION in a single weekend.. which could be done.
..just to name two.

The most frustrating thing about this bill is to think we even need it. 

The LGBT community is not a separate community. It is everyone's community.
Gay has always been here. Trans has always been here.

.. and remember, folks...

"It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change."
-from Origin of Species.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone Can Write A Comment!
Let's hear what's on your mind!